|Self-drafted knit top with Ginger Skinny Jeans
As I was considering whether to declare it a wadder, I realized that I could save the top by making it a cold shoulder top. The armhole was just right for that type of top. So I unstitched the sleeve cap of the sleeves and folded it down. I basted down the sleeve cap and then topstitched from the front along one of the navy stripes. I then cut away the excess. For the sleeve hem, I wanted as much sleeve as possible so I folded it up by only 1/4 inch and topstitched from the right side. This alteration alleviated the pulling across the sleeve and upper chest and now this top was suddenly a fun on trend top.
Jersey fabric curls to the wrong side and that is what the fabric was doing along the exposed armhole edge. To prevent this from happening, I fused a strip of fusible tape along the armhole edge. I did not want to make the armhole go in any deeper by turning it under so instead, I used a decorative stitch along the edge to further stabilize the armhole and also help keep the tape in place should it ever loosen in the wash.
I used a strip of the same fabric for the neck finish and I attached it using the technique described in a previous post. For my figure, I always need to sew darts even for knits so I used the method described in a previous post, Sewing Darts in Knits. I used a ball point needle and a stitch length close to 3.0. I serged the side seams and neck band.
This top was not the look I originally wanted but I am nevertheless happy with how it turned out. Sometimes mistakes bring about the best results!