This fabric was very stretchy in both the crosswise and lengthwise grain with great recovery. Since I need darts even in knits for tops to fit properly, I used my usual technique for sewing darts on knits.
Once I basted the side seams together, I discovered the darts were too high! Yikes! I think the lengthwise recovery pulled the dart up more than I thought it would. So I took apart the basting and moved the dart down to its proper location. Unfortunately, this skewed the dart take-up so much that I would not be able to catch it in the seam. Pondering what to do, I remembered I once made a chiffon blouse where I serged the dart so there would be no dart take-up visible on the right side, only a neat thin line. It occurred to me I could serge this dart thereby cutting off the unruly dart take-up. I then was able to catch the dart in the side seam - whew:
I always use the coverstitch feature of my serger for hems on knit tops. In this case, I wanted the double needle stitching on the right side to match the orange background. I did not want to purchase 3 cones of orange serger thread so what I did was fill a bobbin with the thread for one of the needles and use a thread spool for the other needle. For the looper thread underneath, I used a red cone of serger thread I had in my stash. I stitched some samples to make sure the red looper thread did not show on the right side and luckily it did not. (If it had, I would had filled another bobbin):
The days are still warm here in the northeastern U.S. but fall is just around the corner and only a few days away on the calendar. The humidity and temperature are lower and the sun is setting earlier so I will soon be wearing fall jackets and sweaters. I will definitely use this top underneath for a pop of color.